Thursday, March 24, 2011

Part 2: How Stella Got Her Irish On...

So, back to our regularly scheduled programs.  As a add on to Part 1 - I have been informed that I made a small error - there are, in fact, two more groups of women.  Women who prefer Rocco (David Della Rocco) and those who prefer the character played by Billy Connelly (to be more specific would make a spoiler).  I maintain that, despite ultimately loving say, Rocco or Billy, when asked, most women who've seen and loved the movie will be able to choose between the two brothers.  This does not diminish their love for Rocco or Billy - it's just an illustration of how, upon meeting another woman who loves this flick, I've been able to ask "Connor or Murph?"...and get that quick response.  R or B women will generally follow with a variation on "But I have to say, the one I really love is..."  But it will always start with a brother preference. 

In the two days between deciding to go and the actual event, Elle and I were on a high tilt warble of excitement. 

We made all of the common sense preparations - outfits that were flattering but not slutty, packing the mini DVD player so Elle could watch All Saints Day on the way down, that kind of thing.  I was trying to get as much done as I could, since Elle was working late to prevent work from piling up too much while she was gone.  To fuel this mission, my house was in a constant marathon of the two movies.

Stella came for a visit the day before the party.  To understand what comes next, we need a clear picture of Stella.  She is, as I've described before, a Social Butterfly.  She embodies the grace and charisma that makes hosting a party with innumerable guests look like child's play.  She's one of the few people I know who can be in a room full of strangers - and not only be at home, but through her sparkling energy and tactful instincts, can make those strangers feel like they've known not only her, but each other, for years.

Stella is also a voracious athlete and sports fan.  She watches TV, but really for live action, real time things.  Sitting down to just enjoy a movie (let alone over and over) - SO not her thing (obviously, she's a Woman #1 - never seen The Boondock Saints)

Essentially, we're each other's photo negative - though that doesn't stop us from loving each other to bits.

Often, I find myself saying to her (say, during March Madness, or a football game of sorts) "well, I can't pretend that I "get" why you're excited, but I'm very, very happy for you." (or sad, depending)  This has become a joke between us (though I do mean it, every time).

So.  She and I are visiting and she watched as I bustled around the kitchen.  Finally, it was her turn to say:

"Megan, I just want you to know that, while I don't understand why you're excited, I'm very happy for you that you have this opportunity."  We both laughed.  Then it hit me - there was a way to help her understand...just maybe...

There is a deleted scene from the first movie that is fantastically hilarious and aesthetically magnificent.  Even the director himself has admitted that he regrets cutting it from the final product.  It involves the boys getting a phone call from their mother in Ireland.  For reasons logical to the script, but too long to repeat, they are naked through this scene (hence the aesthetics - sigh).  Since the scene takes place just after the opening credits, one only has to watch up to the part where the main title is shown.  As much of a movie fan as she is not - Stella agreed that she could sit through that much.

SCENE:  The boys are at the meat packing plant (their livelihood, pre-killing spree).  The first one we see is Connor.

Stella says, "Oh, he's pretty cute!"  So, I'm thinking that, though she'll never watch the entire movie, she would be a #3 (those who love Connor). 

As the plot thickens, Murphy shoots a look over his shoulder (pissed that Connor's getting picked on), and she grabs my arm and asks "Who the hell is THAT?!?!?"

Ahhh.  She's a big, bad #4. 

"That," says I, "is Murph."

STELLA:  That's Norman Reedus?  
ME:  Yup.
STELLA:  The guy you've been talking about?
ME:  Yup.  Keep watching.

I switched to the deleted scene.  We watched it in reverent silence.  Sigh.

It's over; I turned off the disk.

STELLA:  You're going to get to meet him?
ME:  YES.
STELLA:  Megan, I UNDERSTAND NOW."

Kinda makes me feel like Riverdancin'.

5 comments:

Ms. J said...

Ahhhhh, to have a grand-flock member (basically those are all the people you intro'd to the film after I intro'd you), is a blessing and it's always nice to witness the birth of a new one :)

Anonymous said...

Connor. Connor all the way, baby. :)

Megan said...

i maintain, as always, that one of the keys to female friendship is a complete lack of interest in the same types of men...so, while you two might be screwed...at least you'll both get along with me!! :D muhahahaa

Megan said...

and ms. j - re: my ability to convert folks to the flock...i feel like romeo.."I shoulda' bin a (missionary!)"

Ms. J said...

Now you need a fabulously obnoxious VW Bug! I think a large shamrock on the hood will do :) And I agree, we will NEVER fight over men.....ever.....